Monday, September 18, 2017

Play time!

Image result for play time



As a youth worker: 
  • I have been nannying for about five years for various different age groups
  • Volunteered in a kindergarten classroom for three years where I helped lead in youth activities 
  • Volunteered in first grade ESL classroom, facilitating reading and math activities in small group settings
  • When working for Disney, was able to interact with children of all different ages from all over the world. As a youth worker, this helped me to learn about different cultures and it was cool that I got to learn about these cultures from the young people. 
As a youth:
  • Role playing: loved playing "house" and "school"
  • Playing pretend
  • Dress up 
  • Sports: Soccer, Gymnastics, Dance, Karate
As a young person, I feel as though we try to incorporate play into most things we do because that is what we enjoy. However, we soon realize that some settings are not meant for play. For example, we know that play is limited in the classroom and in order to receive play, you must work for it. Another idea is the concept of negative punishment on play. For example, if you do not complete your homework, you stayed in for recess and did it then, losing your playtime. However, there are many settings that are meant for play such as the playground and sports fields. As stated in Jenkins "Shall We Play?" article, the six P's factor into play no matter the space, specifically permission. Permission is needed in spaces that do not enable immediate play but play can be followed after work. The remaining six P's each individually contribute a part of playtime. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the layout of the blog and how you have different points on the area of "as a youth"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the fact that there is a time for play and then sometimes there isn't and how play in schools can be so restrictive. In some ways play can be great for talking about difficult topics and other times sitting down and getting serious is the best decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree to when you say that we try to incorporate play into most of the things we do. I know that in my program I try and incorporate fun into my activities when some of my activities are more thoughtful and sit down worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "example, if you do not complete your homework, you stayed in for recess and did it then, losing your playtime. However, there are many settings that are meant for play such as the playground and sports fields." I completely agree with you. This has happened to myself and many people I know were even if we were struggling with homework it was seen as not done and we would have to stay in for recess. What torture it was to watch others play.

    ReplyDelete

Elevator Speech

What is youth development? I still find myself choking up when someone asks me this question. However, after taking the intro class and real...