Monday, November 6, 2017

YD Ideology




After reviewing the Youth Development Ideology Inventory, I found myself to have more of a positive youth development ideology. I believe previously doing this experiment in YDEV 250, my ideology was more critical youth development, so it is interesting to see how just in a year how my youth development ideas have shifted. As a person of positive youth development, according to the horoscope, I have a "constellation of assets". This includes internal and external assets. A focus of this ideology focuses on positive growth and strengths, in addition to trying to prevent any negative outcomes. 
When it comes to youth work, I do feel as though I value the positives. I value positive relationships with youth, positive reinforcement, and positive strives for the future, such as making learning objectives and goals. I also value having a support system and commitment to positive learning (which would be the internal and external assets mentioned previously). Overall, I agree with traits that the other ideologies possess. However, I personally feel as though my mindset when working with youth is to always be positive. This includes being a positive role model that they can look up to and showing them how to be more positive in themselves, in others, and in the world in which we live in.  

Image result for positive youth development    Image result for positive youth development

1 comment:

  1. You are right. Positive relationships enhance the way youths work and learn with youth workers.

    ReplyDelete

Elevator Speech

What is youth development? I still find myself choking up when someone asks me this question. However, after taking the intro class and real...